Durbanville is home to a number of top South African medical practices, including some of the countries’ top OB/GYNs or Gynaecologists and Obstetricians. Most of these medical practices are situated in or around the MediClinic private hospital (Co-ordinates: 33° 49′ 32.12” S 18° 39′ 15.62” E) situated off the main Durbanville thoroughfare of Wellington Road.
What Does a OB/GYN Do?
Although gynaecology and obstetrics were originally two single specialisations, in South Africa and most other Western Countries gynaecologists are also obstetricians. However the two different medical fields, while linked, have different medical focuses. These are explained below:
The Definition of Gynaecology
Gynaecology is the medical practice of dealing with woman’s health issues. This includes the treatment of the female reproductive system and includes medical problems with the uterus, vagina, and ovaries.
The Definition of Obstetrics
Obstetrics is the medical specialty dealing with the care of the female reproductive tract, as-well-as the treatment of children during the prenatal or pregnancy period, assisting with childbirth and labour and care of the baby during part of the postnatal period.
Medical Conditions OB/GYN’s Deal With
The following is a list of the main areas of treatment that an OB/GYN or Gynaecologist and Obstetrician will deal with in South Africa.
- Both cancerous and pre-cancerous diseases of the female reproductive organs are treated.
- Problems with female incontinence are treated.
- Amenorrhoea or the absence of menstrual periods is treated.
- Dysmenorrhoea, which is also known as painful menstrual periods, is treated.
- Menorrhagia, or heavy menstrual periods, is treated.
- The prolapse of pelvic organs is treated.
- Infections of the vagina, cervix and uterus are treated.
Please Note! Although gynaecologists can and do treat urinary problems, a patient can be referred to a urologist in severe cases.
- Prenatal care and treatment
- Antenatal care and treatment
- Foetal assessments
- Childbirth and labour treatment and care
- Postnatal care
Gynaecological Surgery and Surgeons
Gynaecology is a surgical speciality and all qualified gynaecologists may employ medical or surgical therapies together or as separate treatments. The treatment of a gynaecological problem however depends on the exact nature of the problem being treated.
Operations that gynaecologists perform include, but are not limited to:
- The removal of uterine contents after a miscarriage
- Oophorectomy (which is the removal of the ovaries)
- Cervical excision procedures
- Caesarean sections
- Diagnostic laparoscopies
- Exploratory laparotomies
based on 26 reviews
Mon-Fri 8:00am – 17:00pm
Medical Specialty: Gynaecologist, Obstetrician, OB/GYN